Saturday, October 25, 2008

No One Cares How Long You Work

I found this gem on the Leader Talk blog. I loved this quote:

My observation is that folks who ROUTINELY work more than a standard work week:

* Have poor time management skills; or
* They don't know how to delegate; or
* They cannot prioritize [HINT: Family comes first!]; or
* They are Wannabe Martyrs.

[OMG!, did he really just say that?]

Listen? I hear eggshells being stepped on.

Look, if you're a school administrator and you consider football games, plays, concerts, academic and athletic events to be WORK, you're in the wrong career.


I think it is so true and not just about administrators but teachers in general. On my staff we're always talking about time and the lack there of but may be we shouldn't be. Everyone needs to decide what is most important to them. Should teaching be a 24-7 job or is it possible to make it a 40 hours/week?

2 comments:

pcone said...

I'm not sure I completely comprehend the quote, but I think it says we are victims of our own choosing. If we only structure our time better as teachers, we too can have a forty hour week. OR is it saying, we just need to reframe in our own minds what work actually is? (Teaching is not just a profession but a lifestyle that is satisfying in and of itself???)

Real Gary Ball said...

I like this quote but I truely believe that teaching can't be a 40 hours/week job - if you are doing a proper job of it.